I’ve decided to be a full-blown cinephile. Screen junkie. Film buff. So I’ve been on a movie watching frenzy so far in 2021.
I’ve kept up a good pace so far. Here’s a list of the 50 feature-length (> 40 minutes) films I’ve watched (plus La Jetée because that’s an important work in cinema history). I also snuck a few watches from the last days of 2020 onto this list. (Yes, I remember what happened in every movie.)
Most feature-length movies watched in a day: 4 (on January 4, 2021)
Languages: 10. Portuguese, Swedish, Cantonese, Korean, French, English, Japanese, Silent, Russian, Persian
Average movie release year: 1998, Median movie release year: 2007.5
Read my best movie reviews
My recommendations for you
Everyone knows that The Shawshank Redemption, Back to the Future, etc are good. So here are my top recommendations for all readers – I tried to pick ones that are less well known.
- Raise The Red Lantern (1991) – YouTube (turn on captions)
- Honey Boy (2019)
- The Master (2012)
- The Witch (2015)
- Nightcrawler (2014) – Netflix US
- Fruitvale Station (2013) – Netflix US
- The Squid and the Whale (2005) – Netflix US
How to interpret my list
- Blue = especially good
- Green = non-English movie
- Red = female director
- *Note: all movies were first watches except for The Dark Knight.